[Paraview] How to get a field value (single scalar) into the calculator tool

Dan Goldstein dan at cora.nwra.com
Thu Nov 30 17:10:21 EST 2006

HI,

   Does anyone know a way to get the value of a field variable at a
specific point in the field accessible as a scalar in the Calculator tool?

   What I am trying to do is subtract a non-stationary background field
from the solution of a simulation (velocity) at each time step. What I
have is a half channel flow type geometry (with some other bumps). The
inflow is an oscillating boundary layer flow. I would like to be able to
subtract the inflow velocity in the stream-wise direction from the
instantaneous flow at each time step so I can visualize a perturbation
velocity. If I have the inflow velocity at a given height I can
reconstruct the inflow velocity by height with the calculator tool.

   Ok, so I can use a probe tool to get the value in the field, but the
probe tool does not seem to output the value to other tools (such as a
calculator tool).

   Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this?

   Thanks

Dan