[Paraview] Paraview Client/Server

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:18:26 EST 2006

So I've dumbed mine situation down to a simpler case, just to try & get this
to work. I want to run a Data Server on an SGI Irix (named Prism) and do all
the rendering & client on a linux machine (named Meteor).

>From the command line, if I do
  On Irix: pvdataserver -rc --client-host=meteor
  On Linux: pvclient -rc --data-server-host=prism

It starts, but the Irix machine wants to do the rendering, which fails
because I don't have an X display  (I'm just SSH'ed in remotely).

Using a PVX file like so (named "dual.pvx"):
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<pvx>
  <Option Name="reverse-connection" />
  <Process Type="client">
    <Machine Name="meteor.erdc.hpc.mil" />
  </Process>
  <Process Type="data-server">
    <Machine Name="prism.erdc.hpc.mil" />
  </Process>
</pvx>

And then doing the following:
  On Linux: pvclient dual.pvx
  On Irix: pvserver dual.pvx or pvdataserver dual.pvx

The client starts just fine on Linux, and goes into the waiting state
(because of the Reverse Connection).  But the server always fails with the
following error:
[11:14:32am]% pvserver dual.pvx
Connect to localhost:11111
ERROR: In /viz/home/rhand/src/paraview-2.4.2/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx,
line 521
vtkSocketCommunicator (1622f3a8): Can not connect to localhost on port 11111

ERROR: In /viz/home/rhand/src/paraview-2.4.2/Servers/Common/vtkPVClientServerModule.cxx,
line 573
vtkPVClientServerModule (161f4330): Server error: Could not connect to the
client. localhost 11111

ERROR: In /viz/home/rhand/src/paraview-2.4.2/Servers/Common/vtkPVClientServerModule.cxx,
line 583
vtkPVClientServerModule (161f4330): No GUIHelper set, can not exit
application

I have no idea why it's trying to connect to localhost.  I get the same
error whether I use pvserver or pvdataserver.

--
Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist,