RES: [Paraview] Writing Binary files

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Tue Feb 21 08:37:08 EST 2006

Hi Harrison,

It's hard to say about which file format is the best. It'll depend on your
application and your skills to implement it. I basically work with Ensight's
format because, I guess, this format is very easy to understand, implement
and I can also use my files with Ensight and PV without having to change
nothing in my program.

Regarding the binary implementation, I could say that Ensight's binary is an
"ASCII file" opened as binary and without any format in the writing clause
(see the routines previously posted here by me
http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias/public/EnsightFortranRoutines.zip,
Stephane and Sam). If you've been working with huge models certainly you'll
need to save your files in binary format or going further doing parallel
post processing. Regarding Fortran binary files, since PV can't read
unformatted files (it's only possible taking the approach proposed by
Stephane) you'll need to care about the binary Fortran form supported by
your compiler ("binary" or "unformatted") or wait the PV team give support
for unformatted files in PV's future releases ;-)

Regards

Renato N. Elias
PhD student - http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias
High Performance Computing Center