[Paraview] RAM friendly file format?

SamuelKey samuelkey at comcast.net
Fri Feb 3 11:24:42 EST 2006

Noel,

1) Your second question -- "And as a second question, which one
would be the recommended format for generation using fortran90?"

I have had considerable success using PV's EnSight reader. I write
the results to an EnSight c binary format using Fortran-90, see
attached file. (You may obtain the EnSight User's Manual from
http://www.ensight.com/ensight80docs/Manuals/ , see Chapter 11)

The attached gzip'ed Fortran file that I use to write C-binary
(unblocked byte stream) formatted files for use with  PV via
PV's EnSight reader is compiled with HP/Compaq/Digital
Visual Fortran on Win2K & WinXP64

The OPEN statements are for use with HP/Compaq/Digital
Visual Fortran (some non-standard key-words). I have versions
of this for G95's (http://www.g95.org) and PathScale's Fortran
compilers on Linux x86-32/64.

It is 3,500 lines of Fortran, but then I am trying to put out a time=0
mesh file followed by time sequenced data, blocked for large
data sets (to avoid output buffer overflows), subdivided into parts
based on materials, and a medium number of point & cell items.
Not to mention 7 or so cell geometries along with extraction routines
that move data from the program's storage directly into the write
statement buffers.

It may be too complex to help you at this stage, but it is all there.

2) Your first question -- "Is there any  particular file format
(xml/ensight etc) that is designed to use less  system ram when
visualising the models, for the same model detail?"

I started using PV with vtk-XML all ASCII formatted input. Yes,
the files are large in both size and number, but once the data is
read in, it is stored in binary. It does not matter (or should not)
if the data came from binary or ASCII  files. (The vtk-XML legacy
ASCII format reads in amazingly fast.)  How much RAM is used
by PV to store the data I am sure is mildly dependent on the
reader, that is, the EnSight binary reader can have a richer view
of the data and thus has to have some additional info structures
to track this. I am sure the storage required is lost in the noise.

The PV *.pvd file is an excellent way to break your model into
rational pieces (each of which must be a "displayable" data set).

I have had crashing problems with large data sets in PV. I have
tracked it down to a 2GB limit in Win2K & WinXP64 for an
application's memory foot print (an application's memory foot
print is managed in terms of pages -- it does not matter whether
it is located in RAM or the page file or in any mix in between. In
PV, of course, you don't want any of PV's memory swapped out to
the pagefile.)  MS Windows besides physically fragmenting the
pagefile on the HD, is perfectly capable of fragmenting the pagefile
internally. Sooner or later it will come crashing down. (I combat this
- as best I can - by putting the pagefile in its own very large disk
partition as a single very large, contiguous block that fills the
dedicated partition.)

I have the same problems with this data set (840K 4-node
tetrahedrons) in PV on AMD64 Suse Linux 9.3. It happens
when I try to animate 101 time steps. If I am very careful to
read in just the data I need and limit the number of iso-surfaces,
I can get the animation completed and watch it run -- an extremely
helpful capability.

Sam Key