[Paraview] RAM friendly file format?

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 3 07:05:46 EST 2006

I dont see how format might affect RAM, if at all, ASCII would be more
demanding if read into memory at once (unlikely).
I suggest legacy binary format as fast and accurate but I don;t know how
to check/change byte order from fortran. Once you figure out pls let us
know.
DS

noelieboy at online.ie wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am currently writing legacy VTK files of a surface made
> unstructured_grid using fortran 90, and look at them  in Paraview that
> is installed on my desktop PC (2GB RAM). I now want to start viewing
> large models and using the current method the files are getting big and
> also paraview crashes (i assume due to lack of RAM). Is there any
> particular file format (xml/ensight etc) that is designed to use less
> system ram when visualising the models, for the same model detail? And
> as a second question, which one would be the recommended format for
> generation using fortran90 ?

Dominik Szczerba, Dr.
Computer Vision Lab CH-8092 Zurich
http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~domi