[Paraview] Paraview client-Server

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 10:06:39 EDT 2006

well, in this case we're not tiling it Either..

Upon some further digging, it looks like it was just a Version Mismatch
problem.  (Probably should add a check for that at startup).  I was running
CVS on the cluster, and 2.4.4 on the client.  using 2.4.4 on both works
beautifully.

now for the next question :)  PV_USE_TRANSMIT - Does that still work?

I have a file that only exists on the head node (process 0), but when I try
to open it (with PV_USE_TRANSMIT set to 1 on all nodes) I get errors about
"unable to open PLY file" on all the processors and it seems to lock.

On 8/10/06, Sean Ziegeler, Contractor <seanzig.ctr at navo.hpc.mil> wrote:

> Randall,
> As you probably know, our configuration is very similar to yours in that
> only the head node(s) have external access.  We routinely use
> client/server mode successfully in conjunction with parallel
> processing.  As stated by others, you simply have to force the first
> rank (#0) MPI process to run on a head node.  If that is your only
> concern, you should be ok.
>
> The difference, however, is that we are using MPIRenderModule (we aren't
> tiling the display).  You'll want to be sure IceTDesktop doesn't
> deviate, but from the other responses on the list, I'm guessing not.
>
> -Sean
>
> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 12:10, Berk Geveci wrote:
> > Only the first node has to be connected to the client. They talk to
> > each other with MPI.
> >
> > On 8/10/06, Randall Hand <randall.hand at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         This, this is the tile cluster (plasma).
> >
> >         We brought it up with our admins onsite, and they dont' think
> >         that setting up NAT would be any big problem, so they're
> >         looking into it now.  What we want to do is use the
> >         IceTDesktop render mode to parallel process across our 12
> >         nodes with the display piped to a client (probably windows)
> >         that's not part of the cluster.  It was my understanding (and
> >         experience) that in this setup (mpirun -np 12 pvserver -rc)
> >         that each pvserver process will want an independent connection
> >         to the Client, which would require full network connectivity
> >         if it's any host other than the head node.
> >
> >         AM I mistaken?
> >
> >         On 8/10/06, Andy Cedilnik < andy.cedilnik at kitware.com> wrote:
> >                 Hello,
> >
> >                 Actually, as far as I remember there is no need for
> >                 connectivity from
> >                 satellite nodes. I am pretty sure Randal's setup does
> >                 not use NAT, so
> >                 there is no way his satellite nodes can access
> >                 Internet. Randal, this is
> >                 the tile cluster?
> >
> >                 But, again, I see no reason for satellite nodes to
> >                 access client. They
> >                 will try to access render server nodes if you do
> >                 render/data server
> >                 separation.
> >
> >                           Andy
> >
> >                 Wylie, Brian wrote:
> >                 > Sandia uses reverse connect on all of our cluster
> >                 deployments.
> >                 >
> >                 > Even though you can't 'see' the cluster nodes from
> >                 outside you can
> >                 > often 'see' the outside from a cluster node.
> >                 >
> >                 > If the cluster node cannot ping an external ip, than
> >                 perhaps install
> >                 > NAT on the cluster?  (I'm a bit out of my area
> >                 here.... but that's
> >                 > what our administrators have done if there was an
> >                 issue).
> >                 >
> >                 > If you want I can forward your email to our cluster
> >                 folks....
> >                 >
> [...]

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist