[Paraview-developers] OpenGL context provider: Qt5 or other?

Paul Melis paul.melis at surfsara.nl
Wed Oct 4 14:37:27 EDT 2017

Hi Utkarsh,

On 10/04/2017 07:41 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
> Paul,
>
> ParaView with Qt 5 let's Qt create the OpenGL context.  The code to
> look into is the QVTKOpenGLWidget [1].
>
>> More concretely: can I build an (NVidia) GPU-accelerated version of the ParaView client if the underlying Qt5 is using Mesa as its OpenGL implementation? Or do the library symbols clash in this case?
> The GL version you get depends on the libGL loaded at runtime more
> than that you linked against (unless you're using mangled GL/Mesa).
>

>   [1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/GUISupport/Qt/QVTKOpenGLWidget.h
Thanks (wondering why I didn't find that file with my grep). So does
that mean that these days Mesa and NVidia libGL (or any other OpenGL
implementation) are changeable at runtime? I got the idea that there
were still issues with that, even though the whole OpenGL vendor-neutral
library solution seems to be gaining traction (e.g. [2]).

Paul

[2]
https://www.archlinux.org/news/mesa-with-libglvnd-support-is-now-in-testing/