[Paraview-developers] Sparse Data Reader

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 6 12:50:35 EST 2013

It sounds like your data represents (or can represent) a block in space
with a sparse sampling of points within it. If that is the case, the most
natural representation for ParaView would be a poly data or unstructured
grid containing vertex cells at the location of your sparse samples.

If you're lazy like me, a quick way to get this up is to write your data
as a csv file (or some other delimited text file) with each row
representing one of your samples. The columns would be the x, y, and z
positions of each sample as well as additional columns for any other field
data.

ParaView will read that as a table. Use the "Table to Points" filter to
convert that to a point structure I first mentioned.

Of course, a csv file is not a good representation if you have a lot of
data, so you may need to do some custom solution anyway. But it is a good
way to get started with a small dataset to see if that works for you.

-Ken