[Paraview-developers] {Int, Double}VectorProperties now require a {Int, Double}RangeDomain element?

Kyle Lutz kyle.lutz at kitware.com
Tue Oct 9 09:52:41 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Cory Quammen <cquammen at cs.unc.edu> wrote:
> If you have a plugin that has an IntVectorProperty and
> DoubleVectorProperty and you don't specify an IntRangeDomain or
> DoubleRangeDomain element, respectively, the text box enabling entry
> of that property value does not appear in the GUI.
>
> This doesn't seem like it should be expected behavior. If the
> *RangeDomain isn't specified, shouldn't the assumption be that the
> property is unbounded? That's how it used to be, at least in the
> version I had prior to updating to master.

That is true. The new property widgets for each property are created
according to the property's domain. We can add in some code to handle
the case in which no domain is specified and just create a simple text
box. Would that work for your use-case? If so, could you please submit
a bug report and assign it to me?

> I attempted to debug the problem, but couldn't find where Qt widgets
> for *VectorProperties are instantiated. I set a breakpoint in the
> constructor of pqDoubleVectorPropertyWidget, but never hit it for a
> DoubleVectorProperty in one of my plugins.

The main method for property widget creation is
pqPropertiesPanel::createWidgetForProperty() in the
Qt/Components/pqPropertiesPanel.cxx file.

Also, you can run ParaView with the PV_DEBUG_PANELS enviornmental
variable set and it will print out information about each property
widget created (or not created).

-kyle