[Paraview-developers] VTK data types representation

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Jul 23 22:39:45 EDT 2012

> The reason this is coming up is that Wavelet always starts as Outline, as
> does all CTH AMR data.  I had thought that it was due to the dataset’s size,
> but it is actually be design for these datatypes.  Thoughts?

This was done deliberate ages ago (even in ParaView 2 days). I can't
remember exactly way (maybe it was before my time), but someone else
may know. Possibly because the idea is that for 3D structured datasets
more often than not users are interested in volume rendering or
contouring or something like that rather than looking at the surface
of the dataset -- and hence to save geometry extraction and rendering
time, we pick outline by default.

> I would make the mods myself, but don’t really understand all of the VTK
> data objects.

What mods are you thinking of making and why?