[Paraview-developers] Plans for changes to ServerManger (Paraview 4.0 or later)

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue Jul 13 16:49:45 EDT 2010

Folks,

As some of you may be aware, we are working on bringing collaboration
support to ParaView enabling multiple ParaView clients to collaborate
with each other. To make it easier to keep ServerManager's among
clients synchronized as well as to reduce the client-server
communication in general, we are currently investigating restructuring
the internals for ServerManager -- mainly how proxies create VTK
objects an communicate with them. This wiki summarizes the proposed
design.

http://paraview.org/ParaView3/index.php/ServerManager_2.0

This generally won't affect developers writing custom applications or
plugins. However, we are planning on changing the
views/representations to move more logic to VTK-level as a part of
simplifying the client-side logic. So, expect some changes to how
views and representations are currently managed in ParaView. (This
document does not talk about those changes. We are currently playing
with some prototypes and once we have some better idea, we'll have
some things posted.)

These changes are still in early development stage. So changes in
ParaView proper are still a quarter or two away.

As always, any feedback is highly appreciated.