[Paraview-developers] ParaView Customization/Branding Support

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Nov 19 15:44:46 EST 2009

Folks,

I am going to take the leap and commit all the ParaView branding
changes over this weekend (on Sunday). Attached are a couple of
documents that describe what these changes are all about. I'll be
posting updated documentation on the ParaView Wiki soon. Here are
imports points to note:

* A dashboard collapse is anticipated :). I've tried to build on all 3
platforms and run tests, but given the scale of these changes I won't
be surprised if there are surprises. Hence, people are discouraged
from committing changes to ParaView until after the turmoil. Of
course, you can commit changes to VTK (or ServerManager even). It's
Thanksgiving week anyways, so I don't anticipate much activity, but
there are always those free radicals that upset the equations :).

* Applications depending on ParaView may no longer compile since core
classes such as pqMainWindowCore (the bane of the earlier design) are
gone. To simplify the transition, I will be creating a new tag in CVS
prior to committing these Branding changes. Applications can use that
tag until they have upgraded to the new design. I'll announce the name
of the tag as soon as I've tagged ParaView come Sunday.

* Installation rules have yet to be fixed. These will definitely be
fixed prior to 3.8 -- the next major release.

* Developers who committed changes to the ParaView GUI in recents
weeks are encouraged to ensure that their components work as expected.
Although I've tried to merge regularly, it's possible that something
went unnoticed. In most likelihood, the code will still be there, only
the part that exposes the functionality to the GUI may need to be
revisited.

* More detailed documentation is to be expected on the ParaView Wiki
page once the CVS commit turmoil has settled.

Links to the paper/slides :
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/IEEE_Vis09_Revise_Workshop