[Paraview-developers] SendPrepareProgress and SendCleanupPendingProgress

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Tue Jan 25 14:58:00 EST 2005

Hi Ken,

I tried to design progress handling so that it makes sense and it
minimizes the amount of communication and waiting. That said, the names
of methods may be a bit misleading.

ParaView collapses progress events so that MPI and network are not
overwhelmed. Also, it waits a second before events are send, so if
filter sends progress events but it finishes in less than a second, you
will not see the any progress even.

Once the processing takes more than a second, SendPrepareProgress is
executed and the progress events are send. Once the last progress is
send, SendCleanupPendingProgress is executed.

There is also reference counting scheme there, so if multiple things in
ParaView start sending progresses, only one pair of SendPrepareProgress
and SendCleanupPending Progress will be executed.

So, you should rely mostly on SetLocalProgress.

The SendPrepareProgress is where you disable GUI for example. in
SendCleanupPendingProgress you stop the current running progress.

Simple example is in vtkPVProcessModuleBatchHelper.

          Andy

Moreland, Kenneth wrote:

>I was under the impression that the ParaView API would call
>SendPrepareProgress and SendCleanupPendingProgress in my
>vtkProcessModuleGUIHelper respectively before and after any calls to
>SetLocalProgress.  However, this does not always happen (such as when
>Update is called on vtkSMLODPartDisplay).
>
>Should I not expect SendPrepareProgress to be called before any
>SetLocalProgress and any SendCleanupPendingProgress after the
>SetLocalProgress calls?  Should I add them?
>
>-Ken
>
>   ****      Kenneth Moreland
>    ***      Sandia National Laboratories

Andy Cedilnik