[Openchemistry-developers] Regarding Slack Channel and GSoC'19

Karol Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 12:47:19 EST 2019

Hi Amartya,

I just sent the invite.

For the project, at this point I would recommend thinking about the basics,
such as:
1. Which methods exactly do you think are most important to implement? How
many do you think are reasonable to cover in a summer?
2. Review those methods, and let us know if there's anything you don't
understand... any tough equations, or things you anticipate problems with
in the implementation?
3. Where do you think this will live? Would the code go into the cclib
repository, or something built on top of it?

One of the things we really look at is intro work and any contributions,
however small, since that's a good indicator or the quality of code you
will contribute during the summer. Take a look at our current issues in
cclib, maybe take a stab at one of them. Try to work with the code, read
through it a little bit.

Another thought for you (and others applying): cclib has been around for a
long time as far as OOS projects go (>10 years), so there are a lot of
warts and legacy bits in there. Sometimes those stand in the way of new
ideas and projects - consider if and how this would affect your project.

Hope that helps a little,
Karol