[Openchemistry-developers] Gsoc 2018.

Karol Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 10:17:34 EST 2018

Hi Pratik,

I think these are very different projects, even though both are from cclib.
For the advanced analysis project, the main goal is to implement existing
methods, so pre-work might consist of exploring those various methods (ELF,
AIM, DDEC, etc.) and mapping out what you think is doable during the
summer. Some demo code for one method would go a long way there, I think.

For the ML project, there will be a lot more exploration, since there's no
"method" to implement yet and it's unclear what approach would work best. I
expect much of the work, even during the summer, would be experimenting
with various ML setups and understanding what actually makes sense for
parsing. I think what we'd be looking for most in the application is how to
evaluate an ML-based parser, as well as good overall strategy/plan since
there's some danger here of not getting very far in uncharted territory.

HTH,
Karol