[Insight-users] Confused with itkPointSetToPointSetRegistrationTest

Dirk Hollstein Dirk.Hollstein at hsu-hh.de
Tue Apr 3 02:20:33 EDT 2007

Hello list,

I'd like to ask for help with the
itkPointSetToPointSetRegistrationTest example in ITK
(itkAlgorithmsTest2). Since I am new to registration, it is a very
basic question:

We changed the Offset of the moving point set by setting the fixed x,
resp. y component from 0 to 100, such introducing a real offset
between the point sets:

point[0]=100;
point[1]=i;

instead of:
point[0]=0;
point[1]=i;   etc.

When running the registration, the calculated distance is
surprisingly about -75, not -100. So we changed the initial guess
from identity to -100 by setting up an appropriate vector:

typedef itk::Vector<
double,
2  > VectorType;

VectorType aVector;

aVector[0] = -100.00;
aVector[1] = -100.00;

That still did not help to calculate the real distance, but left us
confused. Next we changed the gradientTolerance, valueTolerance,
epsilonFunction, but to no avail.

Are we tuning the wrong parameters? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Dirk