[Insight-users] ITKIO changes in ITK 2.6.0

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Mar 16 18:41:58 EST 2006

Brian Eastwood wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use a set of third party libraries (ImageMagick) to handle image IO
> because ITK doesn't seem to open certain tiffs, notably 16-bit tiffs
> from some microscope cameras in my lab.  I usually have to configure ITK
> to use ImageMagick's external tiff library (to avoid linking errors),
> but I still read images through ImageMagick APIs.  In the recent ITK
> 2.6.0 release, I get the following linking error:
>
> CORE_RL_jp2_.lib(jp2_dec.obj) : error LNK2005: _jp2_decode already
> defined in itkopenjpeg.lib(jp2.obj)
> CORE_RL_jp2_.lib(jp2_dec.obj) : warning LNK4006: _jp2_decode already
> defined in itkopenjpeg.lib(jp2.obj); second definition ignored
>
> To me, this indicates ITK and ImageMagick have used the same symbols
> within their jpeg libraries.  Is there a similar way to point ITK to
> external jpeg libraries to avoid these errors?

Ohhhhh that's nasty :)

ImageMagick is using Jasper for there -buggy- implementation of
JPEG2000, whereas ITK is using OpenJPEG ... and of course those two
project decided to use the same name for declaring there main function :)

Could you please add a bug report to the itk bug report at:

http://www.itk.org/Bug

Add something like: "Need name mangling for openjpeg.", and assign it to me.

Also as a side note, ITK uses the latest Tiff library. Could you please
detail the exact problem you are having with your tiff file. Eventually
opening a bug report (with your data) and code to reproduce.

Thanks
Mathieu