[Insight-users] ITK:FEM : FEM SOLVERS

Brian B Avants avants at grasp.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 2 14:05:45 EST 2006

Barbara,

The ITK-FEM framework is powerful but assumes a certain amount of
knowledge about FEM.

The three different solvers are for static (stress-strain), first-order
time dependent (parabolic e.g. heat distributing through an idealized
solid) and higher order time dependent (hyperbolic e.g. elastodynamics, a
bridge oscillating) problems.

These different problems need different amounts of information about
'past' solutions that get used in the time stepping schemes.

Hughes' 'the finite element method' discusses such things.

It would be good to know what kind of problem you are interested in
solving in order to help choose a solver.  Typically, we use the
Crank-Nicolson solver for image registration.

Good luck,

Brian