[Insight-users] Re: [vtkusers] Finding Medial Axis

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Dec 12 13:56:44 EST 2006

Hello Shamima,

Depends on how your 3D object is represented.

1. vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction if you want to skeletonize polygonal
data. It an implementation of the MAT (Medial axis transform)

2. If you've used ITK, you might want to look at
itk::BinaryThinningImageFilter. It works on binary ImageData. It does it by
iterative erosion, until you end up with 1 pixel wide edges.

-karthik