[Insight-users] Multi-initial in the levelset processing

Olivier Rousseau rousseauoli at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:19:01 EDT 2005

Hi Wenmin,
The curve you evolve using level set method can have several components.
Then the signed distance function takes the distance to the closest
component of the curve. This is a function that is well defined everywhere
on the domain and which splits the plane into 2 parts: the inside (SD < 0)
of the curve (which won't be connected) and the outside (SD > 0). In the
level set method, you evolve the function, not the curve, so the algorithms
involved don't really care about how many components there is.

Regards,
Olivier