[Insight-users] Go from distance map to intensity image

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 17 16:44:39 EDT 2005

You can threshold the resulting image. Threshold all negative values to
the "inside" intensity, and all positive values to the "outside"
intensity (or vice-versa depending on your convention). Where you put
the zero-value is up to you of course.

Typically I choose some huge negative number as the lower threshold and
zero as the upper threshold with the itkBinaryThresholdImageFilter.

Also, if you want to extract the *outline* and not a full binary mask
(useful for some visualization tasks, among others), you can use the
itkZeroCrossingImageFilter.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine