[Fwd: Re: [Insight-users] Problems with BCC6 and ITK]

André Huisman ahuisman at cs.uu.nl
Fri Dec 10 10:16:40 EST 2004

Subject: Re: [Insight-users] Problems with BCC6 and ITK
From:    André Huisman <ahuisman at cs.uu.nl>
Date:    Fri, December 10, 2004 4:15 pm
To:      "Oliver Weinheimer" <mail at oliwe.com>

Dear Oliver,

This is exactly the same problem we had when we started using ITK with
Borland C++ Builder 6. We worked for days on solving it, finally we were
able to compile the ITK libraries (except the XML and the FEM parts). When
using the libraries however, we found new problems. Namely in classes
which are only templated classes, e.g. itkConnectedComponentImageFilter,
and are not compiled during the library building phase. If we would have
been able to fix that problem, other problems would probably have shown
up, because Borland has bad support for templates in this compiler version
(this is a known issue)
So I advice you not to use Borland! After weeks of trying and fixing and
finding new problems we stopped with it and started using Microsoft Visual
C++. We did not want to get dependant of Microsoft, so we now use
wxWidgets as a user interface library (open source, platform independant)
and now everything works fine, for us!

If you want to have our changes to ITK I can send them to you.

Success!

André Huisman
Department of pathology
University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands