[Insight-developers] Visual Studio 2012+ Parallelism

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Feb 10 16:08:01 EST 2014

Brian,

If you do a default configure you get the following in CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS: "/DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc" for ITK. Where as if you specify a default in the cmake cache via ctest script these flags don't get auto-magically added, only your default.

This is likely classified as "cmake magic" not a bug. I am trying adding "-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS}\ /MP" to my cache variable tonight. However, I am not sure if CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS with be set with out a call to some enable cxx language thingy. Shall see tonight.

I have been experimenting with VS11 IDE GUI, and on other systems today and monitoring CPUs utilization. I am not getting consistent behavior when compared to lhcp-vm-win701, something may be wacky with the installation on that system. Please note I am only trying to scale to 4 CPUs, I could see how the MP option would be needed to scale to many more CPUs. By my intuition is that target level parallelism should be ok for this system.

Brad