[Insight-developers] OSX 10.8.3 and ITK

Ho Cheung hocheung20 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:53:15 EDT 2013

> The Xcode update very likely comes with a slightly newer clang.

Apparently, when I ran the compile yesterday I discovered that I was still using the "Xcode Command-Line Tools" that came with Xcode 4.6 instead of 4.6.1, so I don't think this is solely a compiler issue. Here's what clang -v had:

Apple clang version 4.1 (tags/Apple/clang-421.11.66) (based on LLVM 3.1svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0
Thread model: posix

Here's what the new clang has right now:

Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.27) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0
Thread model: posix

> It doesn't seem to reproduce on Rogue7, but a notable difference there is that I use my own build of clang trunk from their svn, I don't use the clang Xcode includes, but I do use the system headers and C++ library from Xcode.

As I understand it, Apple doesn't just take the clang sources and compile and release it, I've read somewhere they pick and choose pieces from all over the svn to suit their purposes.

> 10.8.2 -> 10.8.3 is likely unrelated.

Getting stranger and stranger. I'll start installing a Mountain Lion virtual machine tonight to investigate whether I can reproduce this.

> What version of CMake are you using?  Rogue7 uses 2.8.11rc1.

My mac is running 2.8.10.2.

> I've started an experimental build on Rogue7 with Xcode's clang.

Excellent. Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ho Cheung
Research Assistant
Bio-Image Analytics Laboratory - University of Houston
(775) 388-2368