[Insight-developers] New valgrind defect in itkGradientDescentLineSearchOptimizerv4Test

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed May 30 10:56:20 EDT 2012

If you look at itkSetMacro, it always checks the new value against the old
value, in order to decide whether to mark the current object as modified,
which determines whether the current pipeline stage is dirty and needs
re-evaluation.

In a constructor, the old value is garbage, hence the valgrind warning.
The only consequence in practice is that it is checking against a garbage
value.  I'm not sure the constructor is the right place to mark an object
'Modified' though; the base class constructors have already been called,
and I believe an itk::Object always starts life as 'modified.'
Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu