[Insight-developers] GPU code ready for Gerrit

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Wed Feb 1 22:00:44 EST 2012

Hi Kris,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Kris Zygmunt <krismz at sci.utah.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I have been working on getting the GPU code ready for merging into ITK
> and believe that it is ready now.  I would like to provide the code in two
> pieces:  first, the bulk of the GPU code and second, the GPU anisotropic
> diffusion code which needs a bug fixed to get tests to pass prior to
> incorporation.
>
> >> Great! I think many people  would love to see some GPU code coming into
ITK.

> I have performed a series of commits while working from my github
> https://github.com/krismz/ITK  GPU-Beta-R1 branch, is it worth saving
> these as a series of commits when pushing to gerrit or is it better to
> squash them into a single commit and lose some of the details of the
> changes made?  If I push a series of commits to gerrit, what is the correct
> way to do that to keep from creating multiple gerrit topics?
>
> >> It is the best to make small changes from the very beginning to avoid
the giant-commit problem. But I guess it is too late now.  If you don't
mind losing your development history in ITK history, you could do the
single commit; If not, there are some git magic (not recommended, but Brad
King knows how ) that  may help you to merge in the commit history. But
either way, you might want to send the giant patch to gerrit for review
first .  Looks like your github version of ITK is synced with the main ITK
repo, which is good.  How about sending patches to gerrit by modules ? One
GPU module as one topic  commit?

> Also, I have been working on a branch called GPU-Beta-R1 for historical
> reasons, is this branch name ok for gerrit or should I change it to
> something else like GPU or other suggestions?

>> If you sending commits to gerrit by module topics, you could name the
branch by the module name.

>> Extra comments:
I saw the GPU modules are in Core group. How about  making a GPU group? So
that later gpu modules could naturally located in the same group folder?

Also, You probably want to set up at least one dashboard machine with GPU
for the nightly dashboard.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Thanks,
> -Kris
>
> Kris Zygmunt
> Software Developer
> SCI Institute
> University of Utah

> http://www.kitware.com/**opensource/opensource.html<http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html>

> http://kitware.com/products/**protraining.html<http://kitware.com/products/protraining.html>

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_**FAQ <http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ>

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124