[Insight-developers] updating TransformFactoryBase - module dependecy issue

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Mon Oct 31 11:46:22 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,
Ideally,  it would be great if we could move transform related displacement
field classes into ITKTransform.
Then the dependency would be  one way: ITKDisaplcementField   depends on
ITKTransform.
And you could then add displacement field transforms into
TransformFactoryBase.
However, ITKDIsplacementField uses ITKImageFunction
(itkDisplacementFieldTransform needs
itkVectorInterpolateImageFunction),which would then bring
a new circular dependency between ITKImageFunction and  ITKTransform.

So it's probably wise to either 1) move ITKTransformFactoryBase classes
into ITKIOTransformBase module, and then you could add ITKDisplacementFiled
into ITKIOTransformBase's dependency list.
Or 2)  have a IO method for DisplacementFiled without using
itkTransformFactory, and keep it clean and completely inside the
ITKDisplacementField module.
Your suggestion makes sense but the new module would end up with one or two
classes only.

Let me know what do you think and I can help you proceed.

-Xiaoxiao

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM, M Stauffer (V) <mstauff at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm updating TransformFactoryBase to add new transform
> (DisplacementFieldTransfrom and derived). However, these new transforms
> are in ITKDisplacementField module, which depends on ITKTransform.
> TransformFactory is in ITKTransform, so cannot include from
> ITKDisplacementField w/out a circular dependency. Should I move
> TransformFactoryBase and TransformFactory into its own module,
> ITKTransformFactory?
>
> -M

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124