[Insight-developers] SimpleITK library size

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Apr 11 14:38:21 EDT 2011

Dan,

Those are getting very big!

However, when I look at the size of the release libraries for the wrapped languages:  Tcl is 75MB, Java 74MB etc. The size is quite reasonable as all of ITK and it's libraries are statically linked to it. That means that it includes all of ITK's IO libraries too. Also I have been impressed with how slow it is growing when new filters are added. That has been my primary concern and I think that is still OK. Currently with about about 130 image ITK filter, and IO. I would estimate that the next 100 filters would take like 30 MB more and the current rate.

The 1GB size library does sound very large. But I do believe that we know where the size is going. It's all in the symbol names. More importantly we know that it's in internal symbol names. This points to the meta-programed template instantiation as the culprit. This may be be abled to be shrunk a little by using short names in certain places. However, I am not sure how much effort this is worth.

Brad

On Apr 11, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Daniel Blezek wrote:

> When compiling SimpleITK on Windows / Debug, I get an error lnk1106.  Apparently this is caused by trying to link libraries > 1Gb.  The bug is fixed in VS 10, with details here:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/521439/link-failure-lnk1106-on-ltcg-for-a-static-library
>
> The upshot is that we will not be able to build debug unless using VS 10 under Windows.
>
> -dan
>
> P.S.  The Linux libSimpleITKBasicFilters.a weighs in at 270M, debug/coverage was ~1G
>
> --
> Daniel Blezek, PhD
> Medical Imaging Informatics Innovation Center
>
> P 127 or (77) 8 8886
> T 507 538 8886
> E blezek.daniel at mayo.edu
>
> Mayo Clinic
> 200 First St. S.W.
> Harwick SL-44
> Rochester, MN 55905
> mayoclinic.org
> "It is more complicated than you think." -- RFC 1925

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine
blowekamp at mail.nih.gov