[Insight-developers] IO Interpretation Layer

Jim Miller millerjv at ge.com
Mon Apr 4 09:28:39 EDT 2011

At our last tcon, Luis pointed us at a presentation for a proposal to add an interpretation layer that is customizable at runtime to interface between our file IO mechanisms and our templated image types.

Currently, ITK tries to grok the information about a file. For instance, a three component vector may be RGB, a six component vector may be a upper-triangular representation of a symmetric tensor, etc.

The interpretation layer may provide a means to allow the programmer to inject knowledge on how they want to manage the mapping between a representation on disk and a mapping in ITK.

Luis,

Would this mapping be optional? Would the current default mappings of types still be used if the programmer does not specify anything additional?

This capability looks reasonable for the use-case where the programmer knows what data is going to be presented to a program. What are thoughts on how this could be used when building general applications (such as ITK-Snap or Slicer)?

Jim Miller
Senior Scientist
GE Research
Interventional and Therapy