[Insight-developers] Mantis policy etc

Ivan Macia imacia at vicomtech.org
Thu Jun 10 08:27:44 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I was trying to fix my first bug (just signed in as a bug adopter :S) and I
have a few general questions.

The first one seems quite obvious but just in case. I am working with the
latest CVS version, I guess we should always stay updated when fixing
something else, assuming that the CVS is not broken, isn't it?

I tried to assign a bug to myself (
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7594) but then I realized that I
have only Reporter access level (I had the account created previously) and I
guess we need Developer access level. Who should we ask permission for this?
After careful testing with latest CVS and the provided example I was unable
to reproduce this bug so I wanted to mark it as Resolved with Unable to
Reproduce.

I am quite used to Mantis since we use it in our own projects, it its easy
and intuitive. But some questions about Mantis in ITK, that I could not
deduct from here (
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_Bug_Fixes) are:

- Is there any kind of policy about Mantis regarding the states of the
issues or other things? For example, resolved issues I guess are fixed with
the Resolved state (green), but what is the policy to switch to the Closed
state? Are other less common states such as Feedback, Acknowledged and
Confirmed used? In our lab we sometimes use Feedback (to request someone
else more info) and Confirmed (to let the others know that it is not fixed
but indeed is a bug) but we barely use Acknowledged.
- Is there any policy for assigning bugs or one just assigns the bug to
itself depending on availability and expertise? In the first case who assign
bugs and following which criteria? Or this is just for the core developers?
- What kind of information is mandatory? You already mention a WebCVS link
to the commit when fixed.

I know some things may seem obvious, I just want to know how to do things
correctly without messing anything up :)

Thanks for your help

Iván