[Insight-developers] My experience with gerrit

Daniel Blezek Blezek.Daniel at mayo.edu
Wed Aug 25 12:50:17 EDT 2010

Hi Brad,

  My understanding from (briefly) reading the Gerrit docs is that this is
the expected behavior.  Each change to Gerrit is expected to be separately
reviewed.  If you want to avoid this, you can squash your changes with
rebase (see this posting
http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/html/repo-discuss@googlegroups.com/2009-04
/msg00135.html).  Then you must only push the single commit containing the
squashed series of commits.

I¹m not sure exactly how to rebase properly, nor how to push only one commit
to Gerrit.  Perhaps Brad King or Marcus Hanwell can comment?

Thanks,
-dan

On 8/25/10 11:29 AM, "Bradley Lowekamp" <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just tried to push to gerrit and it didn't go how I was hopping. I just
> finished rebasing my topic branch after the effects for uncrustification of
> ITK. I have the changes here on github:
>
> http://github.com/blowekamp/ITK/commits/jpeg2000io_review
>
> With GIT I have been using the philosophy of making more frequent and smaller
> commits. Make a change, build it test it, commit it. So for this topic, I have
> done 5 small commits, as show above.
>
> So with Gerrit, I did the following ( which seemed reasonable ):
>
> blowek1$ git push gerrit jpeg2000io_review:refs/for/master/jpeg2000io_review
>
> Counting objects: 31, done.
> Delta compression using up to 8 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (26/26), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (26/26), 4.14 KiB, done.
> Total 26 (delta 21), reused 0 (delta 0)
> remote: (W) 26c0e7: commit subject >65 characters; use shorter first paragraph
> remote: (W) 26c0e7: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap lines
> remote: (W) b788dc: commit subject >65 characters; use shorter first paragraph
> remote: (W) b788dc: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap lines
> remote: (W) 55057e: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap lines
> remote:
> remote: New Changes:
> remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/3
> remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/4
> remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/5
> remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/6
> remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/7
> remote:
> To blowekamp at review.source.kitware.com:ITK
>  * [new branch]      jpeg2000io_review -> refs/for/master/jpeg2000io_review
>
> First I am not sure what the issue is with the commit message. I write a short
> first line and then a long description ( no wrapping ), like I have been told
> is good practice with git.
>
> So the issues are:
> Each commit came up as a separate issue. I did not expect this. Perhaps my
> commit are too small, but this was not the result I expected.
> I am not sure the branch thing really works with gerrit. This topic is to be
> merged into master ( I will normally use the staging area to perform this ). I
> suppose gerrit is for the commit level review  and not the branch?
>
> It case someone doesn't have this handy:
>
> http://review.source.kitware.com/
>
> Brad

> Bradley Lowekamp
>
> Lockheed Martin Contractor for

> National Library of Medicine
>
> blowekamp at mail.nih.gov

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

Daniel Blezek, PhD
Medical Imaging Informatics Innovation Center

P 127 or (77) 8 8886
T 507 538 8886
E blezek.daniel at mayo.edu

Mayo Clinic
200 First St. S.W.
Harwick SL-44
Rochester, MN 55905
mayoclinic.org
"It is more complicated than you think." -- RFC 1925