[Insight-developers] My experience with gerrit

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Aug 25 12:29:06 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I just tried to push to gerrit and it didn't go how I was hopping. I just finished rebasing my topic branch after the effects for uncrustification of ITK. I have the changes here on github:

http://github.com/blowekamp/ITK/commits/jpeg2000io_review

With GIT I have been using the philosophy of making more frequent and smaller commits. Make a change, build it test it, commit it. So for this topic, I have done 5 small commits, as show above.

So with Gerrit, I did the following ( which seemed reasonable ):

blowek1$ git push gerrit jpeg2000io_review:refs/for/master/jpeg2000io_review

Counting objects: 31, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (26/26), done.
Writing objects: 100% (26/26), 4.14 KiB, done.
Total 26 (delta 21), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: (W) 26c0e7: commit subject >65 characters; use shorter first paragraph
remote: (W) 26c0e7: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap lines
remote: (W) b788dc: commit subject >65 characters; use shorter first paragraph
remote: (W) b788dc: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap lines
remote: (W) 55057e: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap lines
remote:
remote: New Changes:
remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/3
remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/4
remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/5
remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/6
remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/7
remote:
To blowekamp at review.source.kitware.com:ITK
 * [new branch]      jpeg2000io_review -> refs/for/master/jpeg2000io_review

First I am not sure what the issue is with the commit message. I write a short first line and then a long description ( no wrapping ), like I have been told is good practice with git.

So the issues are:
Each commit came up as a separate issue. I did not expect this. Perhaps my commit are too small, but this was not the result I expected.
I am not sure the branch thing really works with gerrit. This topic is to be merged into master ( I will normally use the staging area to perform this ). I suppose gerrit is for the commit level review  and not the branch?

It case someone doesn't have this handy:

http://review.source.kitware.com/

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for