[Insight-developers] NumericTraits for RGBPixel

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jan 15 13:11:27 EST 2009

  - sorry, I forgot to send that mail yesterday

Le 14 janv. 09 à 16:51, Bradley Lowekamp a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> 	ITK does not have max defined for any of the vector or array like
> classes either. I am pretty sure that this was done on purpose.
>
> 	From a theoretical point of view, a maximum is defined as the
> greatest element in a set. This essentially implies that the set can
> be ordered and have comparative operators. I don't think this is
> true for vector-like elements.

I think you're right, and that's the reason why there is no max()
function. However, nothing force us to define the max() method as the
method which returns the largest possible RGBPixel value (that would
imply to have a comparative operator for RGBPixel). We can rather
define it as the function which returns the RGBPixel with the greatest
value for the 3 components.

> 	Does the connected components algorithm need the max trait?

No, it's for BinaryThresholdImageFilter, which is used in the test.
max() is used to set the default foreground value of the binary output.

--
Gaëtan Lehmann