[Insight-developers] NumericTraits for RGBPixel

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 14 10:51:42 EST 2009

Hello,

	ITK does not have max defined for any of the vector or array like
classes either. I am pretty sure that this was done on purpose.

	From a theoretical point of view, a maximum is defined as the
greatest element in a set. This essentially implies that the set can
be ordered and have comparative operators. I don't think this is true
for vector-like elements.

	Does the connected components algorithm need the max trait?

Brad

On Jan 14, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm fixing the bug uncovered by Julien Michel in
> ConnectedComponentImageFilter with RGB images as input, and want to
> add a test for it.
> However, I can't succeed to build the modified test because
> itk::NumericTraits< RGBPixelType< unsigned char > >::max() is not
> defined.
> Is it done on purpose?
>
> Also, some functions defined in those numeric traits look suspicious
> to me, like
>
>  typedef _TYPENAME_ NumericTraits<T>::RealType
> ElementRealType; \
>  typedef RGBPixel<ElementRealType>         RealType; \
>  static const RealType max( const Self & a ) \
>    {  \
>      RealType b(a.Size());  \
>      b.Fill( NumericTraits< T >::max() ); \
>      return b; \
>    } \
>
> Why should max( const Self & a ) return a RealType? Why b inside the
> function is filled with the size of a (which is always 3), and then
> filled with zeros?
> For the scalar types, that function simply return the value of max().
>
> Regards,
>
> Gaëtan
>

> --
> Gaëtan Lehmann
> INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
> tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
> http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr  http://www.mandriva.org
> http://www.itk.org  http://www.clavier-dvorak.org

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for