[Insight-developers] Nonportable Code

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Aug 14 13:21:41 EDT 2009

On 8/14/09 6:56 PM, Gaëtan Lehmann said:

>I've used that option, but I'm quite sure the types defined there are
>wrong.
>For example,
>
>   #ifdef _WIN32
>     typedef long      ITK_INT64;
>   #endif
>
>and
>
>   #ifdef _WIN32
>     typedef unsigned long ITK_UINT64;
>   #endif
>
>don't like right to me.

Agreed.

>Tom's way - vxl_int_64 - seems to be a better option.
>
>Should we fix the content of itkIntType.h by using vxl_int_64 types?
>And do we even need itkIntType.h?

This whole issue of fixed size types was solved and standardised with
C99 (ISO/IEC 9899:1999), see:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stdint.h>

I know ITK is C++, not C.  Anyone know if the next C++ standard C++-0x
will incorporate those types from C99?

If so, seems to me we should use int32_t instead of creating an
INT_INT32.  (I know some compilers do not have stdint.h, but we can
create compatible typedefs in those cases.)

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com