[Insight-developers] DICOM 0008:0008

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 11:16:53 EDT 2008

Jim,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Miller, James V (GE, Research)
>
> <millerjv at crd.ge.com> wrote:
>
> > This is more of question of ITK producing images for review in other
>  >  DICOM compliant applications.  While ITK applications can use image
>  >  orientation to establish a predominant reformation, other applications
>  >  use these DICOM fields for populating the image database.
>
>  Long story short, I do not believe anyone can extract any kind of
>  usefull information from that tag. For instance CT Image Storage only
>  allows AXIAL and LOCALIZER for valid #3 component in Image Type. But I
>  could be wrong...
>

>  >  Perhaps the bigger issue is that ITK ALWAYS writes images as
>  >  DERIVED\PRIMARY even if the programmer specifies a different value in
>  >  the MetaDataDictionary.
>
>  Indeed ! That's an issue. Sorry I did not realize that (I thought in
>  the past I was able to do it). Let me have a look.

Here is my solution, let me know what you think. I am only considering
case where the meta data dict is passed (basically the 0008,0016 SOP
Class UID is being propagated).

Case 1)
Average user is loading a DICOM file, do some processing, and write it
back using info from meta dict. The image *should* be marked
DERIVED/PRIMARY (any other value such as ORIGINAL are properly
removed).

Case 2)
Advanced user (typically custom app), knows that the processing he is
doing do not affect Value #3 - #N of Image Type (0008,0008) and thus
the image should be "DERIVED/PRIMARY/Value #3/...Value #n" or
"DERIVED/SECONDARY/Value #3/...Value #n"

So in your app, you'll have to make sure to create a string that start
with DERIVED\PRIMARY or DERIVED\SECONDARY and then copy any additional
value that you think should be preserved. But again you do not have
control over the first two values of Image Type (value #2 is
restricted to only two possibilities).

Mathieu
Ps: technically