[Insight-developers] DICOM 0008:0008

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:55:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Miller, James V (GE, Research)
<millerjv at crd.ge.com> wrote:
> This is more of question of ITK producing images for review in other
>  DICOM compliant applications.  While ITK applications can use image
>  orientation to establish a predominant reformation, other applications
>  use these DICOM fields for populating the image database.

Long story short, I do not believe anyone can extract any kind of
usefull information from that tag. For instance CT Image Storage only
allows AXIAL and LOCALIZER for valid #3 component in Image Type. But I
could be wrong...

>  Perhaps the bigger issue is that ITK ALWAYS writes images as
>  DERIVED\PRIMARY even if the programmer specifies a different value in
>  the MetaDataDictionary.

Indeed ! That's an issue. Sorry I did not realize that (I thought in
the past I was able to do it). Let me have a look.

thanks for report.

--
Mathieu