[Insight-developers] gdcmUtil.cxx polling for a MAC Address

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 9 14:43:08 EDT 2008

You need to talk to Mathieu Malaterre ( mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com ) who is
the liason with the CREATIS people who write and maintain GDCM.  At a
minimum, gdcm should have a fallback for machines with networking disabled.

The workaround you're using means you're not generating a unique UID for
your DICOM files, and therefore aren't compliant with the DICOM spec. Not
that it should stop you -- no one else complies completely with the DICOM
spec, why should you?

The only workaround I can suggest unless/until the official gdcm suite is
modified to satisfy your customer's security concerns is this: Modify the
GDCM library source as included with ITK. Then, generate a patch file to
apply this modification to the source code as part of the build process.

It's probably impertinent to point out that using the MAC address as part of
a field of the DICOM header than no one ever examines is not what most
people would consider a security risk. I'm trying to imagine a situation in
which knowing the MAC address of the machine that created a DICOM could be
used for evil, and I'm coming up empty.