[Insight-developers] gdcmUtil.cxx polling for a MAC Address

Patrick Reynolds patrick.reynolds at kitware.com
Wed Apr 9 14:10:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm developing an application using ITK that doesn't use gdcm directly. Yet,
when networking is disabled on the system I get several errors regarding
GetMacAddress() failing because of a media disconnect. I managed to fix the
problem by commenting out the call to GetMacAddress in
Insight/Utilities/gdcm/src/gdcmUtil.cxx Line 108 and replacing that string
declaration with an empty string. I was wondering if this particular call is
necessary and can it be removed. Perhaps it could be called when the gdcm
functionality it enables is needed.

This is of concern because asking for something like a mac address may be
considered a security risk by our customer...

Thanks,
Patrick Reynolds
R & D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.