[Insight-developers] ITK test failures in Debug only

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Sep 13 15:43:39 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07 3:20 PM, Luis Ibanez said:

>Thanks a lot for trying with ITK 3.2.
>
>It is rather bad news....
>
>I interpret that as:
>
>     "the error has been there for a long time"

Agreed.

>On the bright side, you are not getting
>these errors with your VTK build, so we
>could trace this by comparing the vtkMultithreader
>with the itkMultithreader.
>
>Just to double check:
>
>    Is your VTK build using also Debug ?
>    Is it submitted to the VTK Dashboard ?

We have 5 VTK testbeds submitted to the public dashboard, 2 Debug, 3 Release.

But I'm not sure the bug is in itkMultithreader itself.  It could be a
lack of mutexes by clients of itkMultithreader.

>I will suggest that we identify which one of
>the current failing test is the simplest case
>and then we track from it.

Good idea.  We are not so familiar with the test details... which are
simple cases?

>The fact that this happens only in a Debug build
>still leaves open the option that it might be
>an unitialized variable that happens to be in
>the Multithreader.
>
>Is it possible to run Valgrind in one of these tests ?

No.  Valgrind does not exist on Mac OS X.  The closest Mac equivalent is
'guard malloc' but is not supported by CMake (bug 4954).  However, this
can be worked around, we will try running some of the tests with
gmalloc, but it doesn't do Uninitialized Memory Reads checking.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com