[Insight-developers] Reading a volume of dim N+2 from a series of image of dim N

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Feb 21 17:54:53 EST 2007

	I have been solving a couple of issues related to ITK-gdcm, and I am
now stuck on the following:

http://www.itk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2983

	Basically the user is asking that the ImageIO in conjunction with the
SeriesFileName should handle cases where the images are stored in
dimension N and the final images should be of dimension M (where M > N + 1).
	The actual logic does not work since the SeriesFileNames only transfer
a list of filename to the ImageIO, and thus the number of filename is
the value for the last dimension.

	What I would like to be able to do is add a notion of 'Codimension' to
the ImageIO and the SeriesFileName. Let say you have a 4D images stored
in individual 2D images. The imageIO would find out the first 2
dimensions od the volume, whereas the SeriesFileName would find the last
two dimensions of the volume (thus the notion of `codimension`).

	I think the impact on the code would be pretty small. Everything should
be contained in the itk::ImageSeriesReader. The contract is now that
each SeriesFileName should now organize everything *per* group.

Suggestions welcome
-Mathieu