[Insight-developers] Help with new IO class

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 02:25:16 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm writing an IO class to read Bruker MR images. A basic form is
working, but I'm having trouble with order of dimensions.

Bruker has a text file that include dimension and other information.
In my test file the dimensions are list as 512 x 256 x 256. The image
data is stored in a single file in raster order.

A non itk reader I have access to simply reads the data assuming that
the fastest changing dimension (x) is 512 elements long, the next
fastest (y) is 256 etc.

I attempted to do the same, by using the  SetDimensions method in the
IO class. However this lead to results having classic signs of mixed
up dimension sizes (strange interleaving effects).

If I hard code the dimensions to be 256 x 512 x 256, then things look OK.

Is there an orientation setting that should control this? I'd like to
avoid hard coding a reordering if possible. I was wondering what the
correct approach would be....

Thanks