[Insight-developers] Re: Integrating WrapITK into ITK CVS

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 3 06:41:46 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I feel like a bit of a troublemaker to have brought up all of the
issues about changing the CableSwig part of the wrapping process, but
then being utterly unable to donate any time to proofing out the
feasibility of such changes. In any case, I would hope that any
future CableSwig changes could be done transparently, in terms of the
API generated for the wrappers. And as (unless timetables were set
during the tcon) the CableSwig-related changes might not be
forthcoming, I think it would be good to get WrapITK integrated
before those changes.

One question -- the full backwards-compatibility policy makes good
sense for ITK as it is at this point a pretty mature code-base.
However, it's possible that ITK benefitted somewhat from *not* having
such a strictly-adhered-to policy in the early releases. While
WrapITK is definitely ready-for-prime-time, I would be a bit
uncomfortable to commit whole-heartedly to the API exactly as it is;
especially with regard to some language-specific features. (E.g.
there are some useful but perhaps too-clever parts of how the
libraries are loaded in Python, and so forth.) Do you all feel that
the full backwards compatibility requirements will apply to WrapITK
immediately? (Not that I'm proposing wanton breakage, but after
WrapITK is integrated and sees more use in different conditions, we
might learn some things that only non-backward-compatible API changes
can accomplish.)

Zach