[Insight-developers] contrib: fast curvature PDE registration

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Thu May 5 20:16:52 EDT 2005

Luis --

You are welcome :))

Unfortunately, I found a problem with one of the included classes, the
fast symmetric demons force function. Turns out (my fault) that it
didn't work properly in the multi-resolution framework. Now that I
identified and fixed the problem, I am not sure how it actually worked
in the single-resolution environment. Anyway, turns out I forgot to set
image origin and spacing in the local warp image filter. Attached is a
tar archive with replacements for
itkFastSymmetricForcesDemonsRegistrationFunction.{h,txx}.

Note that I also changed the following - the mean squared difference
reported by ComputeUpdate() is now NO LONGER with respect to the updated
transformation (see my earlier posting regarding
itk::SymmetricForcesDemonsRegistrationFunction). Instead, the MSD is
computed for the deformation field as it is upon entering the current
iteration. I doubt this breaks anything, but it means that for now the
fast implementation and the original class will report different values
here.

On the upside, this saves some CPU time since we don't have to compute
the new mapping of each pixel. Also, I find it much more consistent
since the actual applied update is not necessarily identical to the one
computed here anyway.

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"