[Insight-developers] Question regarding itk::SymmetricDemonsForceRegistrationFunction::ComputeUpdate()

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Thu May 5 19:21:58 EDT 2005

Hi --

This is not particularly important, but I was wondering if someone can
help me understand something I find slightly sketchy about the
implementation of
itk::SymmetricDemonsForceRegistrationFunction::ComputeUpdate().

Towards the end of the function, there is a block labeled "update the
metric with the latest deformable field". What happens there is that in
the global data structure, the mean squared difference between fixed and
moving image is updated with the metric value AFTER applying the current
update. Or I should say: supposedly that's what happens.

I am wondering whether this is really necessary (it does take some extra
CPU time after all)? The non-symmetric force class does not do this, and
I can't figure out where this is ever used? Also, it does not seem
particularly meaningful, since the update computed in ComputeUpdate is
not necessarily applied fully in the respective registration filter's
ApplyUpdate() member function. There may be smoothing, for example, of
either the update or the updated deformation field. So the value that is
computed in ComputeUpdate() for the MSD after applying the update is not
actually guaranteed to be correct anyway.

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"