[Insight-developers] Platform-independent type names and 64-bit integers

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jul 7 09:28:46 EDT 2005

Hello all,

Recently there has been interest in adding support for the NRRD file
format's 64-bit integer types.  In order to do this properly we need to
use a 64-bit integer type on every platform.  There is no basic C
integer type that is commonly 64 bits in size, but there is at least one
type (long, long long, or __int64) available on every platform we
support that is 64-bits.

Not long ago I added a set of platform-independent type names to VTK
with names like vtkTypeInt64 and vtkTypeUInt8 (see
VTK/Common/vtkType.h).  I propose adding a similar set of typedefs to
ITK to address this problem.  Platform-independent I/O is generally much
easier with such types anyway.

I propose names such as "itk::TypeInt32" or "itk::Type::Int32" for the
typedefs, but I'm open to suggestions for better names.

Comments?
-Brad