[Insight-developers] GDCM Data Dictionary

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Wed Jan 5 11:10:49 EST 2005

Folks,

As you can see, we are excited about having a robust dicom read/write
capability in itk. And, GDCM is certainly the best way for us to reach the
goal.

GDCMImageIO populates an itk MetaDataDictionary with most of the information
in the DICOM header. The key for the dictionary values is a string that is
described in Insight/Utilities/gdcm/Dicts/dicomV3.dic.

It looks as though this string is derived in some way from the DICOM
Dictionary "Name". However, I looked at the DICOM standard and see that some
Name's in dicomV3.dic do not match the names in the standard.

For example,
dicomV3.dic uses
Image Position Patient
bu the standard uses
Image Position (Patient)

Probably the names in the standard are not meant to be used at keys in a
lookup, but it seems to me that it would be good to use the same names.

Any thoughts on this?

Bill