[Insight-developers] Patented Code : suggested Topic for Frid ay's TCON

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Thu Sep 30 22:51:15 EDT 2004

My guess is that we'll have to remove the ICP PointMetric. We had a similar
thing happen in VTK several years ago. We had implemented a polygon
smoothing algorithm that Taubin published in Siggraph. We found out later
that IBM held a patent on it. Rather than work through the IBM patent, we
yanked the code. I talked to Taubin about it. He said we should have just
left it, but I said I didn't think he had the power to say that.

The patented directory in VTK holds algorithms patented by GE and we did
receive permission to distribute them from GE. We place a contact name in
the header files. Here's how they read (this one is for Marching Cubes).
     THIS CLASS IS PATENTED UNDER UNITED STATES PATENT NUMBER 4,710,876
     "System and Method for the Display of Surface Structures Contained
     Within the Interior Region of a Solid Body".
     Application of this software for commercial purposes requires
     a license grant from GE. Contact:

         Carl B. Horton
         Sr. Counsel, Intellectual Property
         3000 N. Grandview Blvd., W-710
         Waukesha, WI  53188
         Phone:  (262) 513-4022
         E-Mail: Carl.Horton at med.ge.com

     for more information.

This has worked well and companies do contact GE about licensing.

If Jay can get permission from UPenn to do something similar, then we should
move the FC code into a Patented directory. If he can't, I would say we have
to delete the FC algorithms from ITK. Jay can certainly maintain them on his
own. We can tell people to contact him about their availability.

Bill