[Insight-developers] Patented code

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Thu Sep 30 13:52:24 EDT 2004

Hi Jay (and ITK developers),

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been reading up on this a bit (look at www.opensource.org and
www.openarchives.org) - it really is a quagmire...

Jay, so that we can have at least one datapoint for our discussion at
the tcon on Friday, it would be good to know what someone with a
patented method in ITK would like to see happen.  Perhaps you or someone
from your group can let us know which (one or more) of the following
options you find acceptable:

(1) You provide a letter making your method open-source; that is, open
to use and modification without payment as detailed in the current ITK
licensing.

(2) You provide a letter allowing us to distribute and modify your
method and to move your method into a patented directory.  We need to
have the right to modify your code in order to maintain it.  The
downside is that code "maintenance" may possibly result in modifications
to the code that aren't covered by your patent.  If such modifications
occur, those modifications would be the intellectual property of the
person making the changes - you might loose the right to the free use of
something you originally contributed to ITK.

(3) You provide a letter allowing us to distribute (but not modify) your
method and allowing use to move your method into a patented directory.
Your group would assume the task of maintaining your code.  That way,
you maintain all of the intellectual property associated with your
method in ITK.  However, if your method doesn't compile on a particular
machine, your group must be the ones to fix it - this requires constant
attention.  Also, othere may still come up with modified versions of
your code, but they would be in separate files - you would maintain
access to a method that is 100% yours.

There are probably other options...feel free to share them at the tcon...

Thanks,
Stephen

Jay Udupa wrote:

> Steve:
>
> I presume you addressed the question to me, and I am not sure if the
> question was relating to ASM/AAM or FC or both.
>
> I think I did send a copy of the letter for ASM/AAM while the grant
> proposal was submitted, in any case, before the contract was granted. I
> have the original letter I secured from Tim Cootes. It says that there
> is no patent on the core AAM algorithms but they hold "patents
> concerning related work on separating different types of variation (e.g;
> expression vs identity for faces) and on the use of the AAM with certain
> non-linear features rather than the raw intensity models".
>
> As for fuzzy connectedness, both the simple version of it submitted by
> Celina et al. and the advanced version (scale-based, relative,
> iterative, etc.) submitted by us from Penn are protected. I don't think
> that Celina secured a letter of permission from me nor did I submit a
> letter of permission in this connection.
>
> Jay
> ____
>

> Stephen R. Aylward wrote:
>
>> Have you provided Terry a letter granting its use and distribution?
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> Jay Udupa wrote:
>>

>>> I thought there is a mechanism that has already been incorporated to
>>> handle implementations of patented methods. Fuzzy connenctedness
>>> definitely belongs to that category since I hold a patent on that
>>> method.
>>>
>>> Jay Udupa
>>> ____

Dr. Stephen R. Aylward
Associate Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Associate Professor of Computer Science and Surgery
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu
aylward at unc.edu
(919) 966-9695