[Insight-developers] Patented code

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Wed Sep 29 15:30:59 EDT 2004

One question that we need to answer is what does the patent "cover"?

The patent uses language like

	sensor to measure points on a surface

and,

	mathematical model of an object

and,

	mean square error metric

Most of medical image devices do not measure points on a surface. At best,
we use gradient information to infer a surface. Does grouping a CT image
and a gradient operator make it equivalent to a "sensor that measure
points on a surface"?

What about registering centerlines of vasculature?  The centerlines are
surely
not on any surface. Centerlines are presumably "inside" a swept cylinder.

Does registering two images based on features of those images in an ICP
framework violate the patent? The patent refers to registering points
to a mathematical model.  Does it cover image to image registration?

Does the patent cover ICP algorithms that do not use a mean square error
metric?

I can't recall whether you have to violate all the claims of the patent to
be
infringing or whether violating any one of the claims triggers an
infringement.

For instance, the patent appears to cover a "shape inspection" application,
where data from a range sensor or CMM is compared to a geometric model. If
our
application is not shape inspection, do we violate the patent?